By Makiah Josephson, Slow Food USA Communications Coordinator
Are you a believer in Slow Food and looking for ways to get more involved in the global movement? Why not become a member? Members are an integral part of the Slow Food movement toward good, clean and fair food for all. Our members are advocates who put their money where their mouths are and invest an annual fee to help the advancement of our mission and gain access to some amazing benefits. Slow Food is a million-member movement of food activists around the world. We cultivate nationwide programs and a network of local chapters, host educational events and advocacy campaigns, and build solidarity through partnerships. Check out these five reasons to become a member of Slow Food USA!
1. Support 83 volunteer-powered chapters across the US engaging in the Slow Food movement.
“Being part of this ‘slow’ movement affords me an outlet to live my values and continue to learn and grow in a way that radiates and encourages better foodways for everyone — from the farmer all the way to the end consumer, and everyone in between.” — Katie Johnson, Slow Food USA Member
2. Fund programs like Snail of Approval that recognize food businesses that practice Slow Food values.
“I believe this organization will contribute greatly to so many aspects of our society, including school lunches, school gardens, farmers, fishermen, diversity, good policies regarding food, good laws that protect our growers and so much more.” — Shirley Sandoval Reynolds, Slow Food USA Member
3. Engage with our national network around racial equity, inclusion and justice through trainings, office hours, national book discussions and more.
“I fully believe in the mission. Slow Food means food justice, racial justice, social justice and environmental justice for all.” — Michelle Scheier, Slow Food USA Member
4. Support the Ark of Taste, which advances biodiversity and the stories and legacies of Indigenous and endangered foods.
“Boosting biodiversity is critical for our future health and well-being. Maintaining traditional foods through the Ark of Taste ensures things aren’t lost to history. Food is central to identity.” — Megan Davenport, Slow Food USA Member
5. Connect Slow Food USA to the international, million-person movement for change to our food systems.
“I am a member because I believe in the Slow Food philosophy of good, clean and fair food for everyone. While there is no one solution for sustaining our land and protecting our climate, there is hope.” — Fatmata Mansaray, Slow Food USA Member
Join the movement and become a member today!