by Bhavani Jaroff, iEat Green
The warming comfort food of beans on a cold, wintery day is perfect for the start of a meatless New Year!
1 lb pinto beans
3 Bay leaves
4 cloves garlic
10 cups water
1 organic onion, chopped
1 Tbs. chopped Garlic
1 tsp. salt
½ t. pepper
2 bunches Swiss Chard, cut into thin threads
2 Vegan Chorizo, cut lengthwise and then into 1” pieces
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. sweet paprika
1. Rinse and drain the pinto beans. Put them in a large heavy pot with 10 cups of water, the bay leaves and the cloves of garlic. Bring to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes.
2. Lower the temperature, and simmer the beans for 1-1/2 hours, until soft. Drain the beans and reserve the water they were cooked in.
3. In the same pot, sauté the onion in oil for 5 minutes and then add the vegan chorizo and garlic.
4. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the Swiss Chard and cook for another few minutes until wilted.
5. Add the beans back in, along with the salt, pepper, cumin, and paprikas. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, and adding the reserved water to get the consistency you want.
6. Adjust the spices according to taste.