Director of Communications
Type: Full-time exempt, remote
Reports to Executive Director
Salary: $50-60K, depending on experience
Timing: we will review applications on a rolling basis until April 19.
Slow Food USA is seeking a leader to build and execute the movement’s communications and external relations strategy. This position is an exciting opportunity for a dynamic communications professional to build connections between chefs, farmers, and the many participants in our broad and diverse network, through compelling storytelling and multimedia campaigns.
In this role, you will be a key member of the staff team and report to the executive director. We will rely on you for strategic and creative thinking around engagement with our network, partners, and media. You’ll have the opportunity to work collaboratively with the Slow Food International communications team, and connect with Slow Food leaders around the country and the world.
You will have some incredible assets to work with:
- More than 750K social media followers and an email list of 50K
- Access to a network of 115+ on-the-ground local chapters plus national thematic groups
- Global reach, through Slow Food USA’s parent organization, Slow Food International
- A beloved and positive brand, and messaging that resonates widely
- High profile domestic and international events and other activities each year
- A track record of successfully engaging an audience and driving action on the ground
- A positive and playful work culture that is eager to experiment
Campaigns, events and programs:
- In close collaboration with the Slow Food network and staff, develop creative campaigns that engage both the network and the wider public.
- Oversee communications and marketing efforts for virtual, regional, national and international events. This often entails working closely with volunteers in the network.
- Develop and implement engagement funnels to acquire new supporters and members, recruit and cultivate donors, and engage businesses.
- Develop a communications calendar, then create and publish email, social, web, and print content related to campaigns, events and our network activities.
- Create and publish digital toolkits to help our network tell the story of Slow Food.
- Oversee the production of direct print pieces that help steward our donors.
- Manage the SFUSA website (content creation, maintenance and design).
- Work with staff to activate sponsor agreements.
Identify and cultivate brand and content partnerships to reach new audiences and provide additional opportunities for engagement.
- Seek opportunities to get the Slow Food brand into new and aligned events, publications, multimedia productions and networks.
- Write press releases and pitch stories to the media.
- Cultivate relationships with journalists in the food and environment space.
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to the executive director and board of directors on how to expand Slow Food’s message.
- Collaborate with Slow Food International’s communications staff on global campaigns, events and overall strategy.
- Work with communications contractors, including freelance writers and graphic & web designers as appropriate/necessary.
- Identify key performance metrics, set targets, and measure success.
- Coordinate merchandise orders as needed.
Skills & experience:
- 4+ years experience in related field
- Excellent writing skills in warm and engaging style
- Web editing experience using WordPress or similar CMS
- Excellent project management and internal communications skills using digital platforms like Slack, Google Drive and Airtable.
- Ability to create simple graphics and design layouts using tools like Canva
- Self-starter with creative ideas that you can implement
- Knowledge of food systems and eagerness to bake antiracism into everything that we communicate
- Ability and willingness to learn skills you do not yet have but need for the job
- Experience with analytic tools such as Google Analytics and Facebook Insights.
- Video and photo editing experience
- Relationships with press and media in the food and environment beat, and experience writing press releases and pitching stories
- Experience working with networks and volunteer leaders
About Slow Food USA
Slow Food believes in a world where all people can eat food that is good for them, good for the people who grow it, and good for the planet. We believe in uniting the joy of food with the pursuit of justice. We are a global network of local communities and work in three areas: nourishing cultural and biological diversity, educating and mobilizing citizens, and influencing policies in public and private sectors. In the process, we build strong relationships between local, regional, national and international Slow Food leaders.
Slow Food USA is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in our employment decisions. We are committed to an equitable and inclusive workplace and to welcoming diverse perspectives and backgrounds.