June Jo Lee reads her picture book biography, Chef Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix, and talks about Korean ramen and “son-mat,” which translates to “hand taste,” or food flavored by relationships…by love. With demos introducing children to the five colors and five tastes!
June Jo Lee is the co-author of the award-winning picture book biography, Chef Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix. She is also the food ethnographer for Google and co-founder of Readers to Eaters. Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix are published by Readers to Eaters, an independent publisher committed to food literacy from the ground up. Shop the whole Readers to Eaters collection on Bookshop!
Here are some of the resources June Jo mentioned:
- Roy Choi Making Perfect Instant Ramen
- Roy Choi showing middle schooler how to make ramen with technique and flavor
- June Jo and co-author Jacqueline Briggs Martin on How to Make Kimchi
- Let’s Make Ramen!: A Comic Book Cookbook
- Cook Korean!: A Comic Book with Recipes [a Cookbook]
- L.A. Son: My Life My City My Food by Roy Choi
READERS to EATERS “Food Heroes” series
- Chef Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix, written by June Jo Lee & Jacqueline Briggs Martin, illustrated by Man One.
- Alice Waters and the Trip to Delicious, written by Jacqueline Briggs Martin, illustrated by Hayelin Choi. Afterword by Alice Waters.
- Farmer Will Allen and the Growing Table, written by Jacqueline Briggs Martin, illustrated by Shabazz Larkin. Afterword by Will Allen.