Rekaya Gibson was craving pinto beans when we reached out to our community about participating in the Terra Madre Day #FoodforChange meal, because “they tend to warm the soul in the winter.” We sent her some Camellia pinto beans and she cooked up a vegetarian pinto bean chili, perfect for a chilly Meatless Monday. Rekaya loves making chili and used her go-to, great recipe, simply swapping out her usual beans for pintos. She says it’s quick, easy and the family loves it. As far as warming the soul in the winter, Rekaya reports, “Mission accomplished.”
1 lb. Camellia Pinto Beans
7 cups water
1 tsp corn oil
3 bay leaves
1 tsp black pepper
½ medium yellow onion, chopped
1.25 oz. original chili seasoning mix
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, no salt
1 TBS garlic powder
1 tsp salt
- Add first six ingredient in a large stock pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 45 minutes.
- Drain water (reserving about 1 cup in pot).
- Remove bay leaves.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat on medium for five minutes.
- Garnish with jalapeno, sour cream and/or shredded cheddar cheese
- Serve with crackers or cornbread.